An easy to follow guide to making your own changing mat cover.
I had so many intentions and projects in line for the nursery before mr 5 months was born, admittedly most are just being completed now, this changing mat cover being one of them. This was my first sewing project and I have to say I am happy with the end result.
I referred back to my change mat a lot and often used pins to attach the fabric to the change mat to ensure it would fit and was being sewed correctly.
This is the process:
- Firstly wash and iron your chosen fabric – it is better to do this before you begin cutting the pieces to size.
- Cut your fabric into a rectangle that is approximately (46″ x 39″) this is the main body of the change mat cover.
- You will also need to cut pieces for the ends of your change mat cover- to do this I stood my change mat up and traced the ends of the change mat onto baking paper and added a 2 cm margin for error, cut out your pattern from the baking paper and trace it onto the fabric (you could pin the pattern to the fabric if you prefer) and cut out your ends (you will need two ends). You should now have 3 pieces of fabric:
- Hem the both of the (39″) edges
- Lay out the large piece of fabric (inside out) and place your change mat top down in the centre fold the two hemmed sides over to meet in the centre at the back of the change mat. Pin your fabric in place as a guide for the next step.
- Pin the straight ends of the pieces you cut out for the ends of the mat onto the edge of what will be the back side of the mat and sew together. (Ensure that when you pin and sew the pieces together you overlap the hemmed fabric the same on both sides)
- With your fabric still inside out refer back to the change mat and pin the remaining sides of the pieces of fabric together to fit your change mat (I found this side as it is not straight to be the most difficult part) once you have pinned the fabric in place and are happy, sew in line with what you have pinned.
- clean up the lose strands of thread.
- Turn fabric out the right way and fit to your change mat!